Hello readers! In this article, we will be discussing how to add icons to desktop windows 11. Desktop icons are an essential aspect of computer usage as they provide quick access to frequently used files and programs. Windows 11 is the newest operating system and comes with a few changes in the way icons can be added to the desktop. If you are new to this operating system or are unsure about how to add icons to the desktop, read on to find out.
Steps to Add Icons to Desktop Windows 11
Step 1: Open the Start Menu
To add an icon to your desktop, you need to first open the Start menu. You can do this by pressing the Windows key located on your keyboard, or by clicking the Windows icon in the taskbar.
Step 2: Locate the Program
Next, you need to locate the program for which you want to add an icon to the desktop. You can do this by searching for the program in the Start menu or by scrolling through the list of all programs.
Step 3: Right-Click the Program
Once you have located the program, right-click on its icon. A context menu will appear.
Step 4: Select “More”
From the context menu, select More. This will open a sub-menu.
Step 5: Select “Pin to Taskbar”
From the sub-menu, select Pin to Taskbar. This will add an icon to the taskbar for quick access to the program.
Step 6: Right-Click the Taskbar Icon
Once the icon is added to the taskbar, right-click on it. A context menu will appear.
Step 7: Select “Open File Location”
From the context menu, select Open File Location. This will open the folder where the program is installed.
Step 8: Right-Click the Program’s .exe File
Once the folder is open, locate the program’s .exe file. This is the file that launches the program. Right-click on it and a context menu will appear.
Step 9: Select “Create Shortcut”
From the context menu, select Create Shortcut. This will create a shortcut to the .exe file on your desktop.
Step 10: Rename the Shortcut
The shortcut will be named after the program’s .exe file. Rename the shortcut to something more descriptive to make it easier to identify.
Step 11: Drag the Shortcut to the Desktop
Next, drag the shortcut to the desktop. This will create a new icon on the desktop for quick access to the program.
Step 12: Arrange the Icons
Finally, arrange the icons on the desktop to suit your preferences. You can drag and drop icons to any location on the desktop.
Adding icons to the desktop in Windows 11 follows a similar process to older versions of Windows. However, with Windows 11, Microsoft has made some changes to how icons can be added. The new Start menu design makes it easier to locate programs and add them to the taskbar. From the taskbar, programs’ .exe files can be accessed and shortcuts created for the desktop.
It is important to note that not all programs show up in the Start menu. In this case, you may need to navigate to the program’s installation directory manually.
Tips and Tricks
1. Customize Icon Size
You can customize the size of the icons on your desktop by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop and selecting Display Settings. From there, you can adjust the icon size to your liking.
2. Add Folders to Desktop
You can add folders containing frequently used files to your desktop by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting New > Folder.
3. Pin Favorite Websites
You can pin your favorite websites to the taskbar for quick access by opening the website in Microsoft Edge, right-clicking on the tab, and selecting Pin.
4. Use Drag and Drop
You can add icons to the desktop by dragging and dropping them from File Explorer.
5. Use Keyboard Shortcuts
You can use keyboard shortcuts to quickly add icons to the desktop. For example, to create a shortcut to the desktop, press Windows key + D, then right-click on the desktop and select New > Shortcut.
6. Change Icon Appearance
You can change the appearance of icons on the desktop by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize. From there, you can select a different theme or color scheme.
7. Customize Taskbar
You can customize the taskbar by right-clicking on it and selecting Taskbar settings. From there, you can choose which icons appear on the taskbar.
8. Use Quick Launch Toolbar
You can enable the Quick Launch toolbar for easy access to frequently used programs. To do this, right-click on the taskbar, select Taskbar settings, then turn on the “Use small taskbar icons” and “Show taskbar on all displays” options. Next, right-click on the taskbar again and select Toolbars > New toolbar. In the folder location dialog box, enter “%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch” and click Select Folder. The Quick Launch toolbar will now appear on the taskbar.
9. Use Windows Snap
You can snap windows to the side of the desktop to maximize workspace. To do this, drag a window to the left or right side of the desktop. The window will snap to the side, taking up half the screen. You can then select another window to snap to the other side of the screen.
10. Use Virtual Desktops
You can use virtual desktops to organize your workspace. To do this, click on the Task View button in the taskbar. From there, you can select New Desktop and switch between virtual desktops.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Adding Icons to Desktop in Windows 11
1. Accessibility: Placing icons on the desktop makes it easier to access regularly used programs and files without having to search for them in other locations.
2. Customization: Users can customize their desktop with icons of their choice, making it a unique representation of their personality and workflow.
3. Time-Saving: Desktop icons save time by reducing the time taken to find and open commonly used files, making productivity more efficient.
4. Organization: Desktop icons can also be used to organize files and programs by category, making it easier to locate them.
5. Clutter-Free: Desktop icons can be removed or hidden to keep the desktop clean and free from unnecessary clutter.
6. Quick Access: Some programs create their icons on the desktop during installation, making them easy to access with a single click.
7. Reduced Search Cost: With icons on the desktop, users can easily search for specific programs or files without wasting time on searching for them.
8. Personalization: Users can personalize their desktop further by choosing a layout and selecting the size and number of icons they want to display.
9. Easy File Sharing: Desktop icons also facilitate easy sharing of files and documents between users, saving time and efforts.
10. User-Friendly: Adding icons to the desktop in Windows 11 is a simple process that even novice users can easily understand.
1. Desktop Clutter: When too many icons are added to the desktop, it can become cluttered and difficult to navigate.
2. Reduced Space: With the icons taking up desktop space, less space might be available for other applications or widgets.
3. Security Risks: Adding icons to the desktop can also pose a security risk by making confidential files and documents more accessible to others.
4. Aesthetics: Some users may find the desktop icons visually unappealing, affecting the overall aesthetics of the desktop.
5. Too Many Options: With so many icons to choose from, users may find it difficult to decide which one to use, leading to even more clutter.
6. Difficulty in Finding Icons: Users may find it challenging to locate specific icons on the desktop when too many are added, leading to a longer time spent searching.
7. Risk of Accidental Deletion: Desktop icons can be accidentally deleted, leading to the loss of important files or documents.
8. Difficulty in Moving Icons: Moving icons to different locations on the desktop can become tedious, especially when arranging them in a particular order.
9. Reduced Performance: Too many icons on the desktop can reduce the performance of the device, especially when it’s an older computer.
10. Reduced Focus: Desktop icons can be a source of distraction, making it difficult to focus on work, affecting productivity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Can I add icons to the Windows 11 desktop?
Yes, you can add icons to the Windows 11 desktop for easy access to frequently used applications.
2. How do I add icons to my desktop on Windows 11?
You can add icons to your desktop on Windows 11 by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting “New” and then “Shortcut.” From there, you can choose the application you want to create a shortcut for.
3. Can I choose the icon for the newly created shortcut?
Yes, you can choose the icon for the newly created shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut and select “Properties.” From there, click on “Change Icon” and select the icon you want to use.
4. Can I customize the size of the icon on my desktop?
Yes, you can customize the size of the icon on your desktop. Right-click on the desktop and select “Display Settings.” From there, you can adjust the size of the icons to your preference.
5. Can I remove icons from my desktop on Windows 11?
Yes, you can remove icons from your desktop on Windows 11 by right-clicking on the icon and selecting “Delete.” Alternatively, you can drag the icon to the Recycle Bin.
6. How can I organize the icons on my Windows 11 desktop?
You can organize the icons on your Windows 11 desktop by dragging them to the desired location. You can also create folders and group similar icons together.
7. Can I create folders on my desktop on Windows 11?
Yes, you can create folders on your desktop on Windows 11. Right-click on the desktop and select “New” and then “Folder.” From there, you can name the folder and drag and drop icons into it.
8. How do I create a shortcut for a website on my desktop?
To create a shortcut for a website on your desktop, open your preferred browser and navigate to the website. Click on the three dots in the top right corner of the browser and select “More Tools” and then “Create shortcut.” From there, select “Desktop” as the location for the shortcut.
9. Can I add custom icons to my desktop on Windows 11?
Yes, you can add custom icons to your desktop on Windows 11. Right-click on the desktop and select “New” and then “Shortcut.” From there, click on “Browse” and select the location of the custom icon you want to use.
10. How do I change the name of a shortcut on my desktop?
To change the name of a shortcut on your desktop, right-click on the shortcut and select “Rename.” Type in the desired name and press “Enter.”
11. Can I change the font used for icons on my desktop on Windows 11?
No, you cannot change the font used for icons on your desktop on Windows 11. The font is predetermined by the system.
12. How do I restore a deleted icon on my desktop?
To restore a deleted icon on your desktop, open the Recycle Bin and locate the deleted icon. Right-click on the icon and select “Restore.”
13. Can I add icons to a second monitor on Windows 11?
Yes, you can add icons to a second monitor on Windows 11. Simply drag and drop the desired icon onto the second monitor’s desktop.
How to Add Icons to Desktop Windows 11
Windows 11 has been the talk of the town since its launch! This new operating system from Microsoft has definitely given some tough competition to other OS in the market. Windows 11 comes with some amazing features and a user-friendly interface. One of the features that is quite helpful is icon customization. Adding icons to the desktop can make it easier for you to access your important files and applications. In this article, we will guide you on how to add icons to desktop Windows 11.
Conclusion and Closing
Following these steps can help you in adding your desired icons to the desktop of your Windows 11. Icon customization is one of the best features of Windows 11 as it enhances your experience and makes it easy to access files and applications. We hope you found this tutorial helpful. If you have any queries or feedback, feel free to write to us in the comments section below.
Before we end, we would like to remind you that Windows 11 customization is not limited to just icon customization. There are many other features that you can explore and personalize as per your liking. We encourage you to explore and make the most of this amazing OS.
Until next time, happy customizing!