Many of us use Windows 10 every day for work, communication, and entertainment. One of the great things about Windows 10 is the ability to customize the desktop with different themes, wallpaper, and icons. If you are tired of the same old icons on your Windows 10 desktop and want to give it a fresh look, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will guide you through the process of changing your app icons on Windows 10.
Step 1: Find the App You Want to Change
The first step is to locate the app whose icon you want to change. It can be any app on your desktop, taskbar, or start menu. Right-click on the app and select “Properties” from the context menu.
Step 2: Go to the Shortcut Tab
Once you have opened the Properties window of the app, click on the “Shortcut” tab.
Step 3: Click on “Change Icon”
Under the “Shortcut” tab, you will see the “Change Icon” button. Click on it to proceed.
Step 4: Browse the Icon Library
When you click on “Change Icon,” a new window will appear that shows the icon library of the app. You can select any icon from the library or browse your own icons by clicking on “Browse.”
Step 5: Select an Icon
Once you have found the icon you want, click on it to select it, and then click “OK”.
Step 6: Apply the Changes
You will now see the new icon in the Properties window. Click “Apply” to apply the changes, and then click “OK” to close the window.
Step 7: Test the New Icon
Go to your desktop or start menu and open the app to see the new icon. If it has not changed, try restarting your computer.
Step 8: Repeat the Process for Other Apps
If you want to change the icons of other apps, repeat the process from step 1 to step 7 above.
Step 9: Create a Shortcut on the Desktop
If you want to create a shortcut to the app with the new icon on your desktop, simply right-click on the app and select “Create shortcut,” then move the shortcut to your desktop.
Step 10: Pin the App to the Start Menu
If you want to pin the app to the start menu with the new icon, simply right-click on the app and select “Pin to Start.”
Step 11: Change the Icon Size
If you want to change the size of the icon, right-click on the desktop and select “Display settings.” Click on “Advanced display settings” and select “Advanced sizing of text and other items.” From there, you can adjust the size of the icons.
Step 12: Revert to the Original Icon
If you want to revert to the original icon, simply follow the same steps above, but select the original icon from the icon library.
What Are App Icons?
App icons are the small, graphical representations of the applications installed on your computer. They are displayed on the desktop, taskbar, and start menu, making it easy for you to launch the apps.
Why Change App Icons?
Changing app icons is a simple and easy way to customize your Windows 10 desktop. You can make your desktop look more organized, aesthetic, and personalized. Moreover, changing app icons can help you to identify the apps quickly, especially if you have many apps installed on your computer with similar icons.
Tips and Tricks
1. Create Custom Icons
You can create custom icons using different tools and software such as Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, and Iconion. This way, you can make your desktop look more unique and personal.
2. Use Icon Packs
There are many free and paid icon packs available online that you can use to change the app icons in Windows 10. You can download and install them from websites such as IconArchive, DeviantArt, and Ninite.
3. Rename Apps with Custom Icons
You can rename the apps with custom icons to make them more descriptive and easy to identify. For example, you can rename the icon of Microsoft Word to “Writing App.”
4. Backup Your Icons
It is always a good idea to keep a backup of your custom icons, as they may get lost or deleted due to system crashes or updates.
5. Get Feedback
If you are not sure about which icon to choose, you can ask for feedback from your friends, family, or online community. This can help you to make a better decision and get more ideas.
6. Use High-Quality Icons
Always use high-quality icons with good resolution and clarity. This will make your desktop look more professional and visually appealing.
7. Be Consistent
If you are changing the app icons, try to be consistent in your design and theme. This will make your desktop look more cohesive and organized.
8. Avoid Changing System Icons
Avoid changing the system icons or icons of important programs, as it may cause system errors or affect the performance of your computer.
9. Update Your Icons Regularly
Update your icons regularly to keep your desktop fresh and up-to-date. This can also help you to avoid confusion and identify the apps quickly.
10. Don’t Overdo It
Finally, don’t overdo it with too many custom icons or designs. This may make your desktop look cluttered, confusing, and unprofessional.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Changing App Icons on Windows 10
1. Customization – By changing app icons, users can easily customize their desktop or start menu. This allows for a more personalized and unique user experience.
2. Easy Identification – Changing app icons can make it easier for users to quickly identify the application they need without having to read the name or description.
3. Branding – Some users may want to change app icons to display their own branding or logos. This can be helpful for businesses or individuals promoting their own brand.
4. Aesthetics – Users may simply prefer certain icons over others for aesthetic reasons, and changing app icons allows them to create a more visually appealing desktop or start menu.
5. Organization – Changing app icons can also be used as an organizational tool. Users can group related applications together with similar icons, making it easier to find what they need.
6. Fun – Changing app icons can be a fun and creative way for users to express their personality or style, and may provide an element of enjoyment when using their computer.
7. Increased Productivity – By customizing app icons, users may be able to find the application they need more quickly, which may lead to increased productivity.
8. Experimentation – Changing app icons provides the opportunity for experimentation and trying out new looks or styles, which can be fun for users who enjoy exploring different design options.
9. User Experience – Customizing app icons can make the user experience more enjoyable and engaging, especially if the user spends a lot of time on their computer.
10. Increased User Confidence – By customizing their desktop or start menu, users may feel more confident and in control of their computer and its elements.
1. Time-Consuming – Changing app icons can be a time-consuming task, especially if the user wants to customize multiple icons.
2. Technical Skills – Some users may not have the technical skills or knowledge to change app icons, which can lead to frustration or difficulties.
3. Compatibility Issues – Changing app icons may cause compatibility issues with certain applications or software, which can affect the user’s experience or cause problems.
4. System Updates – If the user changes an app icon and then updates their system or an application, the icon may revert to its original appearance, which can be frustrating.
5. Confusion – Changing app icons may cause confusion for other users who are not used to the new icons, especially if they are expecting to see the original icons.
6. Inconsistency – If the user changes only some app icons and not others, it may create an inconsistent or unprofessional look for their desktop or start menu.
7. Legal Issues – If the user changes app icons to display copyrighted material or logos without permission, they may be violating copyright laws or facing legal consequences.
8. Resource Intensive – Changing app icons can be resource-intensive, especially if the user wants to use high-quality or detailed icons, which can slow down their computer or cause other issues.
9. Lack of Functionality – Some customized app icons may not have the same functionality as the original icons, which can lead to confusion or frustration for users.
10. Limited Options – Depending on the user’s preferences or needs, there may be limited options for customized app icons, which can limit their ability to create the desired look.
1. Can I change the app icon on Windows 10?
Yes, you can change the app icon on Windows 10.
2. Why would I want to change the app icon?
You may want to change the app icon to make it easier to find the app, personalize your computer, or simply for aesthetic reasons.
3. How do I change an app icon on Windows 10?
To change an app icon on Windows 10, you can use a third-party app or manually change the icon through the app’s properties.
4. What are some third-party apps to change app icons on Windows 10?
Some popular third-party apps to change app icons on Windows 10 include IconPackager, CustomizerGod, and Win10Tile.
5. How do I manually change an app icon on Windows 10?
To manually change an app icon on Windows 10, right-click on the app icon, select Properties, click on the Shortcut tab, and click on the Change Icon button.
6. Can I use any image as an app icon on Windows 10?
No, not all image formats are accepted as app icons on Windows 10. Only .ico and .dll files can be used as app icons.
7. Where can I download app icons for Windows 10?
You can download app icons for Windows 10 from websites such as IconArchive, DeviantArt, and Iconfinder.
8. Is it safe to download app icons from third-party websites?
It is safe to download app icons from reputable third-party websites. However, be cautious of websites that ask for personal information or contain suspicious downloads.
9. Can I change the app icon for built-in Windows 10 apps?
No, you cannot change the app icon for built-in Windows 10 apps such as Calculator or File Explorer.
10. Will changing an app icon affect the app’s functionality?
No, changing an app icon will not affect the app’s functionality.
11. How can I revert back to the original app icon?
To revert back to the original app icon, simply repeat the steps to change the icon and select the original icon.
12. What can I do if the new app icon does not appear?
If the new app icon does not appear, try restarting your computer or rebuilding your icon cache.
13. Is there a limit to how many app icons I can change on Windows 10?
No, there is no limit to how many app icons you can change on Windows 10.
How to Change App Icon on Windows 10
If you have been using Windows 10 for a while, you may be looking to personalize your experience a bit more. One way to do this is by changing the icon of your applications. This may seem like a daunting task, but it is actually quite simple. In this guide, we will explain how to change the app icon on Windows 10.
Personalizing your computer can make it feel like yours, and changing the app icons is a small but significant way to do so. By following the steps we have laid out here, you can easily change the icon of your applications on Windows 10. If you want to make other changes to your computer, such as changing the wallpaper or customizing the taskbar, there are many other guides available online. We hope this guide has been helpful and that you enjoy your newly personalized desktop!
Thank you for reading! Good luck with your icon customization, and we hope our guide has been helpful. See you next time!