Greetings readers! Are you struggling with changing the display number on your Windows 10 PC? Fear not, for we have got you covered. In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to change display number on Windows 10.
Step 1: Open Display Settings
The first step towards changing the display number is by opening the display settings on your computer. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Right-click on the desktop and select “Display settings” from the context menu.
2. Alternatively, you can also open the settings app and go to System > Display.
Step 2: Identify Your Monitors
Identifying your monitors is crucial as you need to know the number of the monitor you want to change the display number for. Follow the steps below to identify your monitors:
1. Scroll down to the Multiple displays section in the Display settings.
2. Click on Identify to see the number assigned to each monitor.
Step 3: Select the Monitor and Click on “Advanced Display Settings”
Select the monitor for which you want to change the display number, and click on “Advanced Display Settings” present at the bottom of the screen.
Step 4: Click on “Display Adapter Properties”
Once you are in the Advanced Display Settings, click on “Display adapter properties for Display X,” where X is the number of the monitor you want to change the display number for.
Step 5: Click on the “Monitor” Tab
In the Display Adapter Properties, click on the Monitor tab.
Step 6: Change the Display Number
Under the monitor settings, you will see a drop-down menu labeled “Screen refresh rate.” Click on it and select the number which you want to assign to the monitor.
Step 7: Click on Apply
Once you have selected the display number, click on the Apply button to save the changes.
Step 8: Click on OK
After clicking on apply, a pop-up message will appear asking you if you want to keep the changes. Click on OK.
Step 9: Check the Display Settings
Once you have applied the changes, go back to the Display settings, and check if the display number has been changed accordingly.
Step 10: Repeat for Other Monitors
If you have multiple monitors, repeat the above steps for each monitor.
Step 11: Restart Your PC
It is recommended to restart your PC once you have made the changes to ensure that the changes take effect.
Step 12: Troubleshooting
If the display number doesn’t change even after following the above steps, try updating the graphics driver for your PC.
Now that we have gone through the steps on how to change display number on Windows 10 let’s understand what each step does.
When you right-click on the desktop, you get the option of opening the “Display settings” window, which shows all the display devices connected to your computer and the settings related to them.
In step 2, you will identify the number assigned to each monitor connected to your computer.
In step 3, you select the monitor for which you want to make the changes and open “Advanced Display Settings.”
In step 4, you access the “Display Adapter Properties” for the selected monitor and make changes to it.
In step 5, you navigate to the Monitor tab, where you access the refresh rate settings.
In step 6, you select the display number you want to assign to the monitor.
In step 7 and 8, you apply and save the changes made to the monitor settings.
In step 9, you verify if the changes made have been applied accordingly.
In step 10, you repeat the above steps for other monitors.
In step 11, you are required to restart your PC to ensure that the changes take effect.
Finally, in step 12, you troubleshoot any issues that may arise, such as your monitor not accepting the changes made.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Ensure that your graphics card and driver support multiple displays.
Before attempting to change the display number, ensure that your graphics card and driver support multiple displays.
Tip 2: Organize your Monitors
If you have multiple monitors, it is essential to organize them based on the display number to avoid confusion.
Tip 3: Use Shortcuts
You can use keyboard shortcuts such as Windows + P to switch between different display modes.
Tip 4: Check the Resolution Settings
Check the resolution settings of your monitors and ensure that they are consistent.
Tip 5: Use the Project Feature
In Windows 10, you can use the Project feature to view your content on multiple screens.
Tip 6: Update Graphics Driver
Update the graphics driver of your computer to avoid any compatibility issues.
Tip 7: Use Display Settings App
Use the Display Settings app to manage the resolution, screen size, and orientation of your monitors.
Tip 8: Check for Hardware Issues
Check for any hardware issues such as loose cables or malfunctioning monitors that can affect the display settings.
Tip 9: Create Monitor Shortcuts
Create monitor shortcuts on the desktop to switch between monitors quickly.
Tip 10: Consult the Manufacturer
If you encounter any issues related to the display settings, consult the manufacturer’s support team for assistance.
In conclusion, changing the display number on Windows 10 can seem daunting, but it is relatively simple once you understand the steps. With our guide, you can manage your display settings with ease.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Changing Display Number in Windows 10
1. Better organization of open windows: By changing the display number, users can easily organize their open windows based on their preference, which can increase productivity.
2. Multiple display setup: In case of multiple displays, changing the display number can help in identifying the position of each screen and also prevent any confusion or mix-up.
3. Efficient taskbar management: Changing the display number makes it easier to manage the taskbar since it shows the same sequence of programs on each monitor.
4. Accessibility: Display number can be changed based on the user’s accessibility or comfort level, which can help users with visual disabilities to work with ease.
5. Personalization: Changing display number can be a part of personalizing the desktop and making it more user-friendly.
1. Lack of consistency: Changing display numbers can make it difficult to identify the location of the active window, especially if the numbers are not sequential.
2. Unwanted confusion: Changing display numbers can create confusion for users who are unfamiliar with the new settings, thus leading to unwanted mistakes or hours of troubleshooting.
3. Impact on system performance: Changing display numbers could result in lower system performance, especially if the hardware requirements do not match up with the new settings.
4. Limited support: Not all displays support the display number feature, making it difficult for some users to utilize this function.
5. Limited configuration options: Windows 10 has limited options when it comes to changing display numbers, which could hinder the user’s ability to fully customize their workspace.
1. What is display number in Windows 10?
Display number refers to the number of screens or monitors connected to your computer.
2. Why would I need to change the display number?
You may need to change the display number if you want to rearrange the order of your screens or if you added or removed a screen.
3. How do I check my current display number?
To check your current display number, right-click on your desktop and select “Display Settings”. Under the “Multiple displays” section, it will show you the current display number.
4. How do I change the display number?
To change the display number, simply drag and drop the screens in the “Multiple displays” section of the Display Settings.
5. Can I change the primary display?
Yes, you can change the primary display by clicking on the screen you want to make the primary display and then selecting the “Make this my main display” option.
6. How do I extend my display?
To extend your display, go to the “Multiple displays” section of the Display Settings and select the “Extend desktop to this display” option for the screen you want to extend.
7. How do I duplicate my display?
To duplicate your display, go to the “Multiple displays” section of the Display Settings and select the “Duplicate desktop on [number] and [number]” option.
8. How do I change the orientation of my screen?
To change the orientation of your screen, go to the “Orientation” section of the Display Settings and select the desired orientation (landscape, portrait, flipped landscape, flipped portrait).
9. Can I adjust the resolution of my screens?
Yes, you can adjust the resolution of your screens by going to the “Display resolution” section of the Display Settings and selecting the desired resolution.
10. How do I identify which screen is which?
To identify which screen is which, select the “Identify” option in the “Multiple displays” section of the Display Settings. This will display a number on each screen, allowing you to match them with their corresponding display number.
11. Can I change the display number with keyboard shortcuts?
No, unfortunately there are no keyboard shortcuts to change the display number.
12. What if I can’t see all my screens in the Display Settings?
If you can’t see all your screens in the Display Settings, make sure they are all connected properly and turned on. If they are still not showing up, try restarting your computer.
13. What if the changes I made don’t apply?
If the changes you made don’t apply, make sure you clicked “Apply” or “Save” in the Display Settings. If the problem persists, try restarting your computer.
How to Change Display Number on Windows 10
Changing display number on Windows 10 may seem like a daunting task, but with a few simple steps, anyone can do it. The process will allow you to change and rearrange your displays’ positions and resolutions, giving you more control over your setup. In this article, we will guide you through the process of changing display number on Windows 10.
Changing display number on Windows 10 can be a bit tricky, but hopefully, this article has given you a clear idea of how to do it. Follow the steps outlined in this article, and you’ll be able to rearrange and change your displays’ resolutions with ease. Remember to check your graphics card compatibility and ensure that it can handle your display setup. With the right equipment and knowledge, you can create a custom display setup that works for you.
Thank you for reading this article on how to change display number on Windows 10. We hope that it has been helpful to you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. We appreciate your feedback and will do our best to respond to your inquiries. Until next time, happy computing!