Believe it or not, those little check marks on your desktop icons in Windows 10 can be quite annoying, especially if you’re working with a lot of files and folders. But fear not, dear reader! Removing those pesky little ticks is actually pretty easy. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of removing check marks on desktop icons in Windows 10, step by step.
Step 1: Open File Explorer
To get started, you’ll need to open File Explorer. This can be done by clicking on the folder icon in your taskbar or by pressing the Windows key + E on your keyboard.
Step 2: Select “View”
Once you have File Explorer open, click on the “View” tab at the top of the window.
Step 3: Click on “Options”
Next, click on “Options” on the far right side of the ribbon.
Step 4: Select “View” tab in Folder Options
In the Folder Options window that opens, select the “View” tab at the top.
Step 5: Scroll down to “Advanced settings”
Scroll down the list until you come to “Advanced settings”, and then locate “Use check boxes to select items”. This is the setting that controls the check marks on your desktop icons.
Step 6: Uncheck “Use check boxes to select items”
To remove the check marks, simply uncheck the “Use check boxes to select items” option.
Step 7: Click “Apply”
Once you’ve unchecked the box, click “Apply” at the bottom of the Folder Options window.
Step 8: Click “OK”
Click “OK” to close the Folder Options window.
Step 9: Close and reopen File Explorer
To see the changes take effect, you’ll need to close and reopen File Explorer.
Step 10: Check your desktop icons
Once you’ve reopened File Explorer, check your desktop icons to confirm that the check marks are no longer there.
Step 11: Repeat for all folders
The changes you made will only apply to the folder you were in when you made them. If you want to remove check marks from all desktop icons and folders, you’ll need to repeat this process for each folder.
Step 12: Enjoy your check mark-free desktop!
Congratulations! You’ve successfully removed check marks from your desktop icons in Windows 10. Enjoy your clean and clutter-free desktop!
So, what exactly did we just do? In Windows 10, the check boxes that appear on desktop icons are controlled by the “Use check boxes to select items” setting in Folder Options. By unchecking this box, we disable the use of check boxes to select items, which in turn removes them from our desktop icons. Easy, right?
Tips and Tricks
1. Customize your desktop icon appearance
Did you know that you can customize the way your desktop icons look in Windows 10? Right-click on any desktop icon and select “Properties”. From there, you can change the icon, label, and more!
2. Organize your desktop with folders
If your desktop feels cluttered, try organizing your files and folders into groups. Simply right-click on your desktop and select “New Folder”. Then drag and drop your files into the new folder.
3. Use keyboard shortcuts to navigate File Explorer
Navigating File Explorer can be time-consuming, especially if you’re working with a lot of files. Save time by using keyboard shortcuts! Press the “Windows key + E” to open File Explorer, and “Ctrl + F” to search for a specific file or folder.
4. Customize your File Explorer view
Not a fan of the default File Explorer view? Customize it to suit your needs! Click on the “View” tab in File Explorer and select “Options”. From there, you can change the way files and folders are displayed, add or remove columns, and more.
5. Use Quick Access to quickly access your favorite folders
Don’t waste time navigating through all your folders to find what you need. Use Quick Access to create shortcuts to your most frequently used folders. Simply right-click on a folder and select “Pin to Quick Access”.
6. Create a desktop shortcut for easy access
If you have a file or folder that you use frequently, create a desktop shortcut for easy access. Right-click on the file or folder and select “Create shortcut”. Then drag and drop the shortcut to your desktop.
7. Use “Sort by” to organize files and folders
If you’re trying to organize your files and folders in a certain way, use the “Sort by” function in File Explorer. Simply click on the “View” tab, then select “Sort by” and choose the sorting option you want.
8. Use the search bar to find files and folders quickly
Can’t remember where you saved a file? Use the search bar in File Explorer to find it quickly. Simply type in the name of the file or folder you’re looking for and press Enter.
9. Use filters to narrow down search results
Need to narrow down your search results even further? Use filters! Click on the “Filter” button in the search bar to bring up a list of filtering options, such as date modified or file type.
10. Backup your files regularly
Last but not least, always remember to backup your important files regularly! Use an external hard drive, cloud storage, or another method to ensure that you never lose your important data.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Removing Check Marks on Desktop Icons in Windows 10
1. Improved Aesthetics – Removing check marks from desktop icons can give your computer’s desktop a cleaner and more organized appearance.
2. Easier Navigation – With check marks removed, it can be easier to differentiate between icons that you have and have not clicked on or opened recently.
3. Increased Privacy – Check marks are often used as a way to indicate that a file or folder has been accessed recently. By removing them, you can enhance privacy on your computer.
4. Simple Customization – Removing check marks is a simple means of customizing your desktop layout to suit your preferences.
5. Reduced Distractions – Without the visual distraction of check marks, you may be able to focus more easily on your desktop icons and tasks at hand.
6. Cleaner Screenshots – If you take screenshots of your desktop, removing check marks can result in a cleaner, less cluttered image.
7. Reduced Clutter – By removing check marks, you reduce clutter on your desktop and can create a more streamlined workspace.
8. Improved Accessibility – For some individuals, especially those with visual impairments, removing check marks can make on-screen activities easier to see and understand.
9. Faster Navigation – With fewer visual indicators on your desktop, you may be able to navigate to the files or folders you need more quickly.
10. More Professional Appearance – Removing check marks from desktop icons can give your computer a more professional and polished look, especially if you use your computer for work or business.
1. Reduced Functionality – Check marks serve a purpose, indicating that a file or folder has been accessed recently. By removing them, you lose the ability to quickly see which files you have worked on recently.
2. Potential Confusion – Without check marks, it may be more difficult to determine which files and folders you have recently used or accessed.
3. Increased Privacy Risks – Without check marks indicating recent access, it can be easier for someone else to determine which files or folders you have used recently, potentially compromising your privacy and security.
4. Limited Customization – Removing check marks is a relatively simple customization option, but it is a limited one, offering little flexibility for users seeking more complex customization options.
5. No Universal Impact – Removing check marks only affects your desktop, and does not impact programs or other areas of your computer interface.
6. Potential for Mistakes – Without check marks, it can be easier to accidentally open the wrong file or folder since there is no visual indicator of recent access.
7. Limited Aesthetic Impact – While removing check marks can give your desktop a cleaner appearance, it may not have a significant impact on the overall look of your computer interface.
8. Potential for Disorientation – Users accustomed to having check marks on their desktop icons may find it disorienting to suddenly have them removed, potentially leading to confusion or difficulty in navigating their desktop.
9. Potential for Increased Distractions – While removing check marks can reduce visual clutter, visually-oriented users may find it distracting not to have these indicators on their desktop.
10. Potential for Reduced Efficiency – Without check marks, users may spend more time searching for files or folders they need, leading to reduced efficiency and productivity.
1. Why are there check marks on my desktop icons in Windows 10?
The check marks on your desktop icons indicate that the files/folders have been selected or marked for use in some way.
2. How do I remove the check mark on desktop icons in Windows 10?
You can remove the check mark on desktop icons by disabling the selection feature. To do this, right-click on an empty space on your desktop and select “View”. Then click on “Auto arrange icons” and “Align icons to grid” to disable the selection feature.
3. Does removing the check mark mean the file/folder will be deleted?
No, removing the check mark on desktop icons does not delete the file/folder. It only removes its selection status.
4. Can I remove the check mark on individual desktop icons?
Yes, you can remove the check mark on individual desktop icons by right-clicking on the icon and selecting “Properties”. Under the “General” tab, uncheck the “Read-only” box.
5. Are there any other ways to remove the check mark on desktop icons?
Yes, you can also remove the check mark on desktop icons by selecting them and pressing the “Delete” key on your keyboard. This will remove the selection status and the check mark.
6. What if I accidentally deleted a file/folder while removing the check mark?
If you accidentally delete a file/folder while removing the check mark, it can be retrieved from the Recycle Bin on your desktop. Just double-click on the Recycle Bin icon and find the file/folder you deleted, then click on “Restore”.
7. How do I restore the default settings for desktop icons?
To restore the default settings for desktop icons, right-click on an empty space on your desktop and select “View”. Then click on “Large icons” or “Medium icons” to set the default icon size.
8. Will removing the check mark affect the functionality of the file/folder?
No, removing the check mark on desktop icons does not affect the functionality of the file/folder. It only removes its selection status.
9. Can I remove the check mark on system icons?
No, you cannot remove the check mark on system icons such as Recycle Bin, This PC, or Network. These icons are not affected by the selection feature.
10. How do I disable the selection feature permanently?
To disable the selection feature permanently, you need to modify the Registry settings on your computer. This is not recommended for novice users as it can cause system errors if done incorrectly.
11. What if the check marks on my desktop icons do not disappear after disabling the selection feature?
If the check marks on your desktop icons do not disappear after disabling the selection feature, try restarting your computer. This should clear any temporary settings or glitches.
12. Can I customize the check mark appearance on desktop icons?
No, you cannot customize the check mark appearance on desktop icons as it is a built-in Windows feature.
13. Will removing the check mark affect the performance of my computer?
No, removing the check mark on desktop icons does not affect the performance of your computer. It is a cosmetic change only.
How to Remove Check Marks on Desktop Icons Windows 10
Do you see check marks on your desktop icons and wonder what they are for? They indicate that the files are synced or shared with OneDrive. While the check marks may be helpful in some cases, they can also be a distraction and make it challenging to identify the files you need quickly. This article will take you through the steps to remove the check marks on desktop icons in Windows 10.
Conclusion and Closing
Removing check marks on desktop icons in Windows 10 is an easy process that takes only a few steps to complete. As outlined in this article, you can use the Registry Editor or the Group Policy Editor to remove the check marks. Before you make any changes to the Registry, it is vital to create a system restore point in case there are any issues. Once you have removed the check marks, you can enjoy a cleaner desktop with easier-to-locate files.
We hope that this article has provided you with valuable insights on how to remove check marks on desktop icons in Windows 10. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out to us. Thank you for reading, and we wish you all the best as you navigate your Windows 10 desktop.
Until next time!